About Me

I started this blog at the urging of my AK friends to help relay my moving to WA. I'm hoping this blog will evolve into a place where I share my home-decorating/remodeling, craft projects, and adventures in dog-ownership.

Thanks for reading!!

Christina - wrangell.penguin@gmail.com

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Lamp- paper

I got this lamp from a friend at my leaving AK garage sale. I've been wanting to change it for a while.

Couple weeks ago I was spray painting all kinds of stuff and decided it was time. Lamp went from brown and red to modern all robin's egg blue.

But I only had the one lampshade, and it was boring. So I used my pinterest as reference and punched a lot of circles then started glue gunning, while watching Doctor Who.

I'm very happy with result.

Master Bathroom Redux

First project add high shelf!

Second project new floors...

Those are my new grout stepping stones, because I read Gallon instead of Quarts, for how much water to add... Grout the second time went much better.

This is after the magical polishing liquid. (Stone Enhancer)

And with new toilet.
I'll try to get a picture of the complete bathroom, but it's so tiny it's hard to frame.  I painted the walls grey, put in a new light fixture, the new floor, and finally a new YELLOW submarine shower curtain.

Door Decoration, continued...

So I did this  2 years ago.

It's held up well but some of the fabric was starting to come loose around the handle (where we touch it all the time) and at the bottom (I blame the dog noses).

I decided to do some touch up.  I made much less cornstarch goo, but when I finished my touch ups (which worked awesome!!!) I still had a lot left.

Upstairs are 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, Wrangell and Penguin will eat anything, shoes, blankets, pillows, stuffed animals, paper, so we keep the doors shut. 4 white doors looked very boring, so I decided to add some color. I went through my fabric scraps, found 4 patterns that would fit in the panels, did more ripping then cutting. Ironed the fabric, then started goo-ing.  They are holding up great, clean up was super easy, and it got me to reclean the doors, which has been on my to do list.
Here they are:

Friday, April 13, 2012

Dino Hoodies

It's birthday time for a niece and nephew. I've decided that I will make the presents for all the kids this year (don't worry I'll catch the January-February birthdays in 2013.)

So I went to my pinterest and found these,

Decided to make my own, I went to Goodwill and picked up hoodies that will hopefully fit the kids for a while.
Got home and cut out fleece spikes.
I pinned them on in a "straight line" 

And sewed down the middle.  Then for the "spikes" I used Fabric-Tac and put a little glue line down the center (I really don't like sewing by hand).

And there it is.
Hopefully my sisters will send me pics with the kids modeling there hoodies that i'll be able to add soon!
Dino niece at the zoo

Dino niece with Grizzly photo-bombing

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hair Decorations -> And a skirt

James Bond Theme Cocktail Party

I couldn't find many DIY ideas for a grown-up James Bond Theme Cocktail Party (on the cheap).
I went to the thrift store got lots of playing cards and a piece of felt from JoAnns.  And got to work w/my sewing machine.  I cut out about 10 guns from the felt and put them on the bottom of 5-9 card garlands. Super easy to just sew a straight line!! I also made some longer garland with felt "bullets" intermixed.

Playing card and gun garland for James Bond Theme Party

Champagne Jello Shots

Monday, December 26, 2011

It was time.  I've been drooling over turquoise shoes for a while. They were following me everywhere...


They were everywhere, and then I found these links...
And similar links, and since I love spray painting I decided to take my black shoes and make them less practical but more fun!!

The materials: shoes, amazing turquoise spray paint, cardboard to paint on, and (not in photo) painters tape and old rags to cover surfaces not painting.
Covered the sole- well the part that touches the ground
Stuffed with rags, and more tape, ready for PAINT!!

After first coat of paint, decided for a 2nd coat just to be sure.
Ta Da!!!
I'm very happy with them, I like that the black stitching stayed black, contrast is always good. I'll see how they hold up, I have some wedding dancing plans for them.